This recipe is to die for. Seriously. These little gems are so delicious and you don’t even need a bowl, just a blender to make the batter! You can easily double the batch, which I would recommend if you are making them for several people.
The texture is somewhere between fudge and a muffin. They are very dense and rich, almost like a cheesecake texture.
These are high in protein and have healthy fats and carbs, which makes them a great pre or post workout snack. They are healthy enough for breakfast and delicious enough for dessert.
These are naturally sweetened the banana and the protein powder I used is stevia sweetened and the protein peanut butter I used is sweetened with xylitol, stevia, and monk fruit. With the combo of the fruit and the sweeteners in the ingredients, I found them perfect without any additional sweetener! If you use another type of nut butter or protein powder, you may need to add additional sweetener. If so, I’d recommend a dry sweetener.
I’ve used the Equip Foods (formerly pureWOD) protein powder in recipes I’ve shared before. Love it and highly recommend it. Totally clean and absolutely delicious. No weird ingredients to make it fluff, so no GI side effects. It is also paleo friendly and suitable for those who can’t tolerate dairy based proteins.
If you haven’t tried fluffbutter before, get on it! The company was D’s Naturals, but has re-branded as No Cow. Same products as before. All products are vegan friendly, non-GMO, and free of gluten, dairy, and soy. There are a lot of high protein nut butters/nut butter alternatives on the market, but of those I have tired this far outdoes them. The vanilla maple is still my favorite. They also make really tasty protein bars. I have tried all the flavors except the two new ones, carrot cake and peanut butter, and can’t wait to try those. Also they now make protein cookies, which I also need to get my hands on!!
Anyhow, I wanted to give product feedback, but back to the recipe!
“Give Me S’mores” Fudgy Protein Cups
- 3 scoops Vanilla (or Chocolate) Protein Powder*
- 4 oz/112g S’mores Flavored Peanut Butter**
- 4 oz/112g unsweetened apple sauce***
- 1 spotty ripe banana (about 112g/4 oz)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Line a 12 cup muffin pan with silicone liners. Spray with cooking spray.
- Blend first 5 ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Add baking soda and baking powder and blend until just combined. (Be careful not to over-blend if you have a tight fitting lid and the pressure will cause splattering when you open).
- Divide into muffin liners.
- Bake for 15 minutes. They should be set in the middle, but a toothpick will come out slightly crumbly.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack, transfer to the fridge to chill overnight.
*My scoops are 29g each. You could use vanilla or chocolate protein. Some brands even have a s’mores or graham flavor that would be good too.
**I used a high protein vegan blend, but any nut butter or nut butter substitute would work.
***I used a snack pack cup.
1/ Have you tried fluffbutter?
2/ Have you tried any other brands of protein nut butters, and if so, what re your favorites?