Hubby and I recently took our first “real” vacation (i.e. a trip that was more than a night or two and which wasn’t somehow work-related) since our honeymoon. We took a 10 day trip to Hawaii (full recap post to follow once I can organize photos).
I’m gonna be honest, one of the best parts about travel to me is the food. There were several places that stood out, but by far, one of the best meals we had in Waikiki was Surf N Turf Tacos.
Hubby had fish tacos—and they were so good he went back for seconds! That’s saying a lot, as fish tacos are one of his absolute favorite meals. Our favorite local place for fish tacos closed and since then, nowhere else ever stacks up—trust me when I tell you, we have been on the hunt! Anyhow, I usually do then tacos too, but just eat the filling and not the wrap, but Surf N Turf had the option to make a salad bowl, which basically was a fish taco, sans taco shell/wrap! You got to choose toppings (I had lettuce, cabbage, refried beans, corn, salsa, guacamole, fresh cooked shrimp, cilantro, and lime. It was so fresh and flavorful, I knew I had to recreate it at home. I proud to say I was successful!
If you are ever near a Surf N Turf, trust me and eat there! It make look like a hole in the wall, but it is amazing. The seafood was legit; we watched them cook it on placing our order. My hubby is very picky about seafood in general since one side of his family is in the seafood business. He worked on the shrimp boats in the summer when he was younger and grew up eating fresh seafood. He is ruined for store bought and always turns his nose up when I buy it!
Surf N Turf Shrimp Taco Salad Bowl
The instructions below are for one salad bowl. With the ingredients I purchased, I had enough to make 4 servings for lunches throughout the week. I just heated the corn and cooked the shrimp the day of. You could easily make the shrimp ahead and reheat if you want to make this meal prep friendly!
- 2 cups / 112 g Shredded Lettuce (I used Walmart’s Marketside brand)
- 1.5 cups / 84 g Tricolor Shredded Cabbage (I used Walmart’s Marketside brand)
- 1/4 cup / 2 oz Cherry Tomatoes, quartered (I used Nature Sweet)
- 4 tsp / 2 g Cilantro (I used Gourmet Garden)
- 1 packet True Lime
- 85 g Warm Corn (I used Birds Eye Steamfresh)
- 1/2 cup / 130 g Warm Refried Beans (I used Walmart’s Marketside brand fat free)
- 1 tsp /2 g McCormick Garlic and Herb Seasoning, divided*
- 4 oz White Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 Servings / 66 g Guacamole (I used to Good Foods chunky guacamole)
- 1-2 Lime Wedges
- Olive Oil spray
- Mix tomatoes, cherry lime packet, and cilantro together in a small bowl.
- Mix refried beans and 1/2 teaspoon McCormick seasoning in a small microwave safe bowl. Heat for about 45 seconds until warm.
- Heat corn in a small microwave safe bowl.
- Spray a small non-stick skillet with olive oil and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon McCormick seasoning. Place shrimp in the pan in a single layer, spray them with olive oil, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon McCormick spice. Cook for about 5 minutes, turning halfway through. They are done when pink.
- Place lettuce and cabbage in a large bowl. Add tomato mixture, corn, beans, shrimp, and guacamole. Serve with a wedge or two of lime. Enjoy!
1/. Do you like fish tacos?
2/ What is your favorite place to get them? Or do you prefer to cook them at home?